I *love *a good dinner party, but during Stampede, a fabulous breakfast party with your nearest and dearest is where it’s at: no lines, no screaming kids, and no end to your mimosa.
How glam you go is up to you: since summer in Calgary is short, you can fancy it up with a more elaborate outdoor backdrop, or keep the decor simple so that you can focus on pulling together a great menu for your friends. Don’t stress yourself out creating the perfect table (this is not the time to start creating DIY place cards and mason jar candles); instead, focus is on spending time with your wonderful friends and celebrating this city’s best annual party! Yahoo!
Step 1: The music
Thanks to Songza, putting together the perfect soundtrack for any gathering is effortless. Check out some of Stmpdr’s favourite Stampede-friendly playlists and get to rocking!
Step 2: The cocktails
Breakfast cocktails are a requirement for your at-home breakfast party. You could serve everyone’s favourite boozy citrus cocktail (the best mimosas are equal parts orange juice or blood orange juice + bubbles/sparkling wine) or try the Stampede breakfast cocktail of choice from the folks at justcockails.org, The Bloody Bronx Cocktail #2:
- 3/4 oz Cinzano Blanco
- 1/4 oz Vya Sweet Aperitif Wine
- 2 oz Botanist Island Gin
- 1/2 oz Boiron blood orange puree
- lemon rind
Add ingredients (except the blood orange juice) to stirring vessel. Stir well until very cold and strain into chilled martini glass. Express the lemon rind over the martini glass and place it inverted in the glass to create a chute. Slowly sink the blood orange juice/purée down the Martini and into the bottom of the glass.
Step 3: The food
The key to a great pancake breakfast is to balance the sweetness of the syrupy pancakes with a salty protein (bacon or veggie bacon). Instead of making pancakes from a dry mix, try these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes from Calgary’s own Kensington Riverside Inn:
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup extra smooth ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter (melted) or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries and strawberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Press ricotta through fine sieve into separate bowl. Whisk in egg, milk, butter and lemon rind. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Batter may be slightly lumpy.
- Heat large nonstick pan over a medium heat; brush lightly with vegetable oil. Pour ¼ cup batter per pancake into skillet, spreading with spatula to form 5 inch circles; cook until bottom is golden and bubbles break on top but do not fill in, 1.5 to 2 minutes. Turn and cook until golden on the bottom.
Finish off your guests’ plate with mixed greens tossed in extra virgin olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar, hand everyone a drink, and toast to friendships, cowboys, country music, and Stampede!